Before you read this blog post check out our Youtube video on Coffee and Bible Time on How to Start Reading Your Bible!
Reading your Bible is SO important. I know for a lot of you it may be hard to get into the routine of reading your Bible daily. It can be hard when life gets in the way and you never seem to have time to read your Bible.
But here’s the thing… WE NEED TO BE MAKING BIBLE READING A PRIORITY IN OUR LIVES. It is our way to hear directly from God. Our way to get peace, hope, joy, love, encouragement, strength, and guidance. It is our manual for the way we should be living teaching us how to fully love God and love others.
With that being said here are some tips on how to start reading your Bible!
- Read the action Bible! If you aren’t really into reading and you are more into picture books/ you are a visual learner you might really enjoy the action Bible. I am in high school and love reading this- you don’t have to be a kid to read it! Its a comic book style Bible with so many amazing pictures!
- Check out the website thebibleproject.com . This website has amazing videos on every book of the Bible and wonderful reading plans to help you stay on track with reading your Bible. I learned about this website from a friend who went to Moody Bible College and she is now a missionary and she highly suggested this website to me, and it has helped me so much!
- Start Out Small!! Start off with one chapter a day. One chapter in proverbs a day and you will get done the book of proverbs in one month!! Sometimes we can make our goals too big like trying to finish the entire Bible in a year and it’s easy to get discouraged!! So start small and work your way up!
- Make Goals. When we make goals for our Bible reading it’s more likely we will accomplish reading the Bible more often. For example: My goal is to read one chapter in Romans a day. Now that I have made that goal I will be more likely to read Romans every day because it’s a goal for me. Don’t get discouraged if you mess up or don’t perfectly meet the goals you made. All that matters is that you are growing in your walk with God!
- Get a devo or Bible study. I don’t know if it’s just me… but sometimes when I am reading the Bible I don’t fully understand what I am reading and I am not getting much out of it. That’s why I love having studies and devos to guide me along when I need extra help. There are so many free studies online that can help you with your Bible reading. Here are two that I love. The Bible app studies and also She Reads Truth. Some good devos I like are: Jesus Calling & Jesus Always
- Schedule a Time of Day. Pick a time of day that works best for you to read your Bible and make it a habit. Is the mornings good for you? Or night time right before bed? Or right when you get home from school before you dive into the homework? Pick a good time and write it down in your planner! This will help you to be more likely to read your Bible.
- And my last tip is to pray that God would give you a desire to read his word! Honestly pray to God and ask him to give you a desire to read more of his word. Ask Him to help you thirst more and more for his word everyday. To open up your eyes to new things in his word. To renew you and refresh you every time you read.
God’s word is life healing to the soul!!
Love, Joy, & Peace,
Ashley & Taylor